Topics and Resources
Policy Debate Topic for 2017-2018: Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its funding and/or regulation of elementary and/or secondary education in the United States.
Policy Debate Novice Topic Areas:
- Funding Side:
- Increase funding for Native American education
- Increase funding for school choice vouchers
- Increase funding for STEM (science technology engineering and math) programs
- Regulation Side:
- Ban zero tolerance discipline policies
- Funding equalization of funding for low-income schools (perhaps by overruling the Supreme Court case in San Antonio Independent School District v. Rodriguez – 1973 5-4 decision that denied 14th Amendment grounds for declaring education a fundamental right.
2017-2018 Lincoln Douglas topics:
September/October -Resolved: In the United States, national service ought to be compulsory.
November/December -Resolved: TBA October 1st
January/February -Resolved: TBA December 1st
March/April -Resolved: TBA February 1st
2016-2017 Public Forum topics:
September/October- Resolved: Deployment of anti-missile systems is in South Korea’s best interest.
November- Resolved: TBA October 1st
December- Resolved: TBA November 1st
January- Resolved: TBA December 1st
February- Resolved: TBA January 1st
March- Resolved: TBA February 1st